UPDATE!!!

LESSONS I HAVE LEARNT SO FAR IN MED SCHOOL.





      Hi guys, Hope everyone is doing well?
 On a lighter note though, the holiday just started whoop!! whoop!!!!  Asin ehn you don't know how haaaaaaaapy I am. Its not as if I don't like to go to school but I cannot come and kill myself. I hope you are excited as well. What was your academic year like? I would like to know. Well mine was okay except for the exams, they were really stressful, but am grateful to Baba God for a successful academic year.
   So in the spirit of the the recently concluded exams and for those planning on entering med school or are already in med school, I thought I should share some of the things I have learnt/still learning and hopefully we can exchange ideas and learn from each other.


  •  Medicine is not for the Genius, but for the dedicated.

   Growing up, I often heard people say "to study medicine" you have to be very very intelligent. Maybe not literally but from the way they talked about the level of intelligence in my mind it was more like being a genius (Incase you didn't know intelligence has grade). In my opinion, anybody can study medicine as long as you are dedicated and hard working because medicine is not for a lazy person oh (in Jenifa's voice).


  • It's a life time of learning.
   In this field you will read till you die, yes I said it!!!. Don't be scared it's not that bad. But it is important because as the world revolves there are also new innovations and you need to constantly improve on yourself (either by studying more, attending seminars and so on). You can't afford to be stalked with the same level of knowledge and also the more you read the more you know, remember and understand.


  • Don't compare yourself to someone else.

    No two individuals are the same, this also applies to their reading patterns. Everyone has his or her own level of understanding. One might spend hours reading before they understand while another might spend less time. Find what works for you and stick to it because in the end our differences makes us all unique.


  • You can't practice enough.
  " Practice makes perfect". Just like any aspect of life, the more you practice the better you become. It's one thing to have the theoretical knowledge and it's another thing to be able to apply the knowledge accurately so any opportunity you get to practice, utilize it well.


  • Composure is key.
   I cannot stress this enough, you might have to experience it to fully understand it. This may vary for others but in my university, our exams are mostly conducted orally. Some lecturers will grade you not only by your knowledge but also by the way you answer their questions. You know the way a dog senses fear from afar, it's the same thing with these lecturers. They want you to answer confidently even when you are not sure. Saying what you think boldly might even convince them, you never know.


  • You can have a hobby

   Contrary to popular opinion you can have a hobby and having one doesn't make you less serious as long as you set your priorities right.

I'm going to conclude this with Romans 9;16 "It is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth but of God that showeth mercy" this has to be my biggest lesson so far because there were times when i read but relied solely on my strength and the results were not so good and other times I still read but relied more on God and the result were far better than I imagined. So yes! If you think your success so far has been because of your intelligence or how much you read? Then you need to think again!!!
Ciao Ciao
  







Comments

Post a Comment